Sri Lanka: Petition calling to immediately charge Sarath de Abrew and put him on trial
- Sri Lanka: Petition calling to immediately charge Sarath de Abrew and put him on trial
- We have launched a petition to seek justice for a domestic worker who was brutally assaulted by her employer, Sarath De Abrew, a Sri Lankan Supreme Court Justice. Please sign the petition today: https://bit.ly/fireabrew and send to your colleagues and partners.
SRI LANKA -
Please sign the petition today: https://bit.ly/fireabrew
On June 26th, Supreme Court Judge Sarath de Abrew raped and brutally attacked a domestic worker in his home in Sri Lanka. She was later admitted into the emergency room with severe injuries, including a fractured skull.
Tragically, this is not the first time Sarath de Abrew has been accused of assaulting domestic workers. And unless the Sri Lankan government takes action NOW, it may not be the last.
No worker should have to fear for his or her life.
Despite the repeated abuse and violence, Sarath de Abrew is now free on bail. We are calling on the Sri Lankan government and President Maithripala Sirisena to immediately charge Sarath de Abrew and put him on trial. The Judicial Service Commission must also take action and discharge him from his post of Judge NOW.
Without access to rights and legal protections, domestic workers often face many forms of violence, including sexual assault. The Sri Lankan government must implement legal provisions to give speedy justice to rape and assault victims and enforce strict sentences for employers who abuse and exploit domestic workers.
Please sign and share the petition today: https://bit.ly/fireabrew
Help us get the word out by using the following hashtags and sample tweets:
- #FireAbrew #ProsecuteAbrew #SriLanka #Domesticworkerjustice
- Judge Abrew fractured a domestic worker's skull. #SriLanka must #FireAbrew NOW. Sign the petition: bit.ly/fireabrew
- Supreme Court Judge Sarath De Abrew brutally attacked his DW. Tell #SriLanka Justice Commission to #FireAbrew: bit.ly/fireabrew
- Dear President @MaithripalaS Supreme Court Justice Abrew brutally attacked his employee. Isn’t it time to #FireAbrew #ProsecuteAbrew?
- Supreme Court Judges are NOT above the law. SriLanka govt must #FireAbrew NOW- Sign the petition bit.ly/fireabrew
- [ Photos Album ] >>> Sri Lanka: Domestic Workers Union (DWU)'s action demanding for arrest of Supreme court judge Sarath de Abrew who raped and brutally attacked a domestic worker
- [ News ] >>> Sri Lanka: Domestic workers lack legal protection DWU Joint Secy. Ananthi Sivasubramaniam