Malawi: Exchange visit of NDAWU DWs to CIAWU Malawi
- Malawi: Exchange visit of NDAWU DWs to CIAWU Malawi
- Namibian Domestic and Allied Workers Union-NDAWU and Commercial Industrial Allied Workers Union –CIAWU of Malawi which is a multi-sectoral union are both affiliates of the IDWF. One of the IDWF activities between Namibia and Malawi was to have the exchange visit. It involves DW leaders and organizers to visit CIAWU union in Malawi.
- May 20, 2016 to Jun 24, 2016 (Universal / UTC0)
- Visit external website
- Add event to calendar
Currently the unions have been able to do a number of activities such as planning the action plans for their unions, training domestic workers on issues related to domestic workers, awareness creation, campaign and advocacy on minimum wages and ratification of ILO C 189, as well as organizing and recruitment drive (NDAWU-1500 members and CIAWU 5500 members by May 2016.
The objectives of the mission were as follows:
- To learn and share from each other about the organizational work in the unions.
- Capacity development of DW leaders in both NDAWU and CIAWU by seeing how to recruit DWs in the union and share skills and experience.
- To build strong network among leaders and organizers of the two unions so that they can work together towards building strong unions.
- Learn and list good practice and be shared to other affiliates.
Source & photos: Vicky Kanyoka
- View more photos >>>